Top 10 most beautiful castles in Switzerland
The video shows the rankings on the 1st of October 2017
Switzerland has some of the best preserved castles in Central Europe. From elegant palaces to formidable fortresses, Swiss castles are among the most visited tourist attractions in Switzerland. Wherever you may find yourself, there is always a picturesque castle nearby waiting to be explored. Most were constructed during the Middle Ages, offering you a rare glimpse back into times long past.
Aarburg Castle is located high above the town Aarburg on a steep, rocky hillside. The castle was built around a medieval castle, which controlled the narrow point on the Aare river and served as the seat of Aarburg Vogt.
Today it houses the Kantonale Jugendheim, for holding and rehabilitating juvenile offenders. It is classified as a Swiss heritage site of national significance.... view details
The site of Castelgrande has been fortified since at least the late 1st century BC and until the 13th century it was the only fortification in Bellinzona. During its history the castle has been known as the stronghold (before the 13th century), the Old Castle in the 14-15th centuries, Un Castle after 1506 and Saint Michael's Castle from 1818.
The castle can be reached by taking an elevator from the foot of the rock to the castle grounds or by climbing steep, narrow streets from the city center through the city wall onto the castle grounds. The south wing houses a museum that contains "6500 years of human presence on the hill ... and covers the period from the first Neolithic village to the 20th century".... view details
Vufflens Castle was built in 1425 on the site of a previous medieval castle by Henri de Colombier. The first castle on the site was built by the lords of Vufflens; nothing remained of that structure.
In 1530, the castle was set on fire by Bernese troops; in 1641 it was acquired by the de Senarclens family. Of the original castle by Henri Colombier, the donjon (or the keep), several towers, outbuildings, the surrounding wall and the gate house remain.
The castle is currently privately owned and cannot be visited.... view details
Castle Tarasp dominates the eponymous locality in the Upper Engadine. The castle belonged until 1803 to Austria, was laid siege to and fought over several times, but was never captured.
In the year 1900, the inventor of the mouthwash Odol, Karl August Lingner, bought the castle and had it completely restored.
Since 1919, Castle Tarasp is open to all visitors, who can view knights' halls and ballrooms, old bedrooms, the castle chapel and the organ with its 2,500 pipes. The castle also offers public organ concerts and guided tours.... view details
Vaduz Castle is the palace and official residence of the Prince of Liechtenstein. The castle gave its name to the town of Vaduz, the capital of Liechtenstein, which it overlooks from an adjacent hilltop.
The keep, built in the 12th century, together with elements of the eastern side are the oldest parts of the castle. The Princely Family of Liechtenstein acquired Vaduz Castle in 1712 when it purchased the countship of Vaduz.
The castle underwent a major restoration between 1904 and 1920, then again in the early 1920s during the reign of Prince Johann II, and was expanded during the early 1930s by Prince Franz Joseph II. Since 1938, the castle has been the primary residence of Liechtenstein's Princely Family. The castle is not open to the public as the princely family ...... view details
During the High Middle Ages, Lord von Oberhofen built Balm Castle on a hill above the village. In 1306 the von Eschenbach family (who owned the castle by that time) was forced to sell Oberhofen and the castle to the Habsburgs.
Over the following centuries the castle changed hands frequently. In 1849-52 the Pourtales family renovated and expanded the castle to its present appearance. In 1952 it became a part of the Historical Museum of Bern and two years later they opened a branch in the castle.... view details
The Castles of Bellinzona are a group of fortifications located around the town of Bellinzona, the capital of the Swiss canton of Ticino. Situated on the Alpine foothills, the group is composed of fortified walls and three castles named Castelgrande, Montebello and Sasso Corbaro.
Castelgrande is located on a rocky peak overlooking the valley, with a series of walls that protect the old city and connect to Montebello. Sasso Corbaro, the highest of the three castles, is located on an isolated rocky promontory south-east of the other two.
The Castles of Bellinzona with their defensive walls have been an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.... view details
Chillon Castle is an island castle located on Lake Geneva (Lac Leman), south of Veytaux in the canton of Vaud. Chillon is amongst the most visited castles in Switzerland and Europe. According to the castle website, Chillon is listed as "Switzerland's most visited historic monument".
Chillon Castle is situated at the eastern end of the lake, on the narrow shore between Montreux and Villeneuve, which gives access to the Alpine valley of the Rhone. It began as a Roman outpost, guarding the strategic road through the Alpine passes. It was used as a defensive outpost, a prison and a munitions and weapons depot.
Chillon was made popular by Lord Byron, who wrote the poem The Prisoner Of Chillon (1816) about Francois de Bonivard. Byron also carved his name on ...... view details
Gutenberg Castle lies on a hill near the centre of the town of Balzers and is accessible via a street and road known as 'Burgweg'. Gutenberg is one of the five castles of the principality and one of two that have survived preserved until the present day.
Unlike Vaduz Castle in Vaduz, Gutenberg Castle does not serve as a residence of the princely family of Liechtenstein and is open to the general public as a museum.... view details
Lenzburg Castle is a castle located above the old part of the town of Lenzburg and it ranks among the oldest and most important of Switzerland.
The castle stands on the almost circular castle hill (altitude: 504 m), which rises approximately 100 m over the surrounding plain but is only about 250 m in diameter. The oldest parts of the castle date to the 11th century, when the Counts of Lenzburg built it as their seat.
The castle, its historical museum and the castle hill with its Neolithic burial grounds are listed as heritage sites of national significance.... view details
This "top" is based on user ratings and it can change based on users votes; be sure to rate your favourite castles and check back soon.